Water management: success story
In a comparison study, TECHNYL® SAFE D PA6.10 successfully replaced high transition temperature PPA with the same glass fiber content in cold water meter body and top plate applications also thanks to MMI advanced simulation services. Using the advanced predictive simulation tool, DOMO technicians were able to:
- Simulate injection molding: predict glass fiber orientation , warpage and dimensions, comparing old and improved design with TECHNYL® SAFE D PA6.10
- Part performance prediction: part deformation under working pressure (4Bar) and burst pressure (16 Bar) at different temperatures (23°C , 50°C) and exact break point, thus predicting accurately, based on the most reliable Digimat material cards in the polyamide environment, part performance in different conditions.
- They were also able to recommend design improvements to the customer when using innovative TECHNYL® SAFE D material
The comparison study concluded that, despite the bigger deformation of the improved design, the alignment of fibres in critical areas of higher stress was favorable, thus giving it a lower criteria failure index, meaning a better and safer design.
The new TECHNYL® SAFE D solution delivers a number of important advantages over prevailing high-performance plastics. For example, it provides superior weld line strength that increases the robustness, longevity, and reliability of the part. It also provides better dimensional stability, an important aspect for accurate metrology in water meters. In addition, it has very good processing capabilities: on standard processing tools, injection molding is easy, processing temperature and energy consumption lower, and scrap levels are reduced.
Thanks to its bio-based content, we are also able to bring to market a more sustainable water meter.
Using the test benches in the Lyon R&D center, developed specifically for water management applications testing, DOMO experts were able to test the final part and modify various application parameters to evaluate its effective efficiency, even under extreme conditions. Temperature, pressure, flow rate, concentration of substances (chlorine, oxygen), pH, are some of these parameters. Results from the tests made it possible to predict performance over complete envisaged product lifetimes.
A unique, dedicated test bench for water management systems
The new chlorine test bench is able to simulate the evaluation of part degradation kinetics, due to the combined effect of chlorine aging in water (oxidative degradation) at different temperatures (from 23° to 85°C) and chlorine concentration levels (from 0ppm to 100ppm), as well as abrasion of water at different water flow levels, at varying part pressures and changing alkalinity of the water (from ph5 to ph8).
This specific part testing enables our customer to:
- Test new part designs
- Simulate part lifetime usage
- Compare the performance of different TECHNYL® solutions under realistic conditions
- Reduce product time to market and part development costs
Contact us now
Get in touch with our sales representatives to discuss your needs for water management applications.